Sunday, April 25, 2010

Walking an Alpaca

Today I took Shiloh out on a walk. I wish that my husband would have been home to take photos of it. Shiloh is fairly easy to halter, and I give him treats after it each time, so I think it's making it easier every time I do it. Well, we walked up the street to the mailboxes and a lady was out mowing her lawn. She gave me the strangest looks. On our way back a little dog ran outside and was barking at my alpaca. Shiloh got a little bit stressed out, but he wasn't too bad. We stopped along the way for him to eat wonderful tidbits of green grass and to eat some little flowers that he thought were very tasty. Then we walked back to the pen where the other 4 boys stood watching and waiting. I would try this with my other boys, but I think they might freak out a little bit. None of them like being haltered much, but they have to put up with, since it's almost shearing time.

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

We have a few goats that will walk on a collar and leash, others not so much! It sure does make it easier to handle them though!

Lady Cat Ears said...

They are so much easier to handle when they are halter trained. I'm trying to get the other 4 trained before shearing day, but I'm not sure that will happen.